Welcome to The Middle Of Summer where each day feels hotter than the last. But you can beat the heat and look crazy stylish doing it. Here are some of my favorite summer styles and tricks:
- High waisted shorts. These are my ultimate summer go-to. The high waist makes almost anything look cute and vintage. They keep you feeling and looking cool. Thrift stores are treasure troves of high waisted shorts. Think denim, acid washed, cut-offs, patterns, bold colors--the possibilities are endless. If they seem too long and awkward, try cuffing them a couple times until they're a comfortable length. Do you have a pair of jeans that fit great in the waist but just don't work as pants? Try summerizing them by chopping those bad boys and fraying the edges. Here's a tutorial for DIY cutoffs and here's another for making your own grungy bleached cutoffs.
- Fresh tank tops. Two words: No. Sleeves. Find tank tops with cute patterns, made with light fabrics or lace, bold graphics and fun designs, etc. Pair a solid colored crop top with those high waisted shorts. Make a statement without making yourself sweat.
- Missing your cold weather layers? Replace them with flowy cardigans. Some days I find myself missing my cozy cardigans. But you don't have to sacrifice your lovely layers in fear of melting like a Popsicle in July. Kimonos and light cardigans solve the summer layer conundrum. They're flowy and light to give you a breezy, carefree look, without adding the extra degrees. Some of my favorites have come from Rue 21 and Goodwill. Yes, I said Goodwill. Here's a major thrift hack: to find trendy kimonos at thrift stores, check the lingerie section for flowy or sheer bathrobes. (You're welcome.) You can try wearing a button-up dress as a cardigan. They can also double as swimsuit coverups.
- Maxi skirts. At this point most girls have discovered the beauty of maxi skirts, and it's no wonder because they're amazing. In case you haven't experienced the magic of maxi skirts, they're basically like wearing PJs in public. Except better. Maxi skirts and dresses look very elegant, but they're usually super comfortable. They're easy and breezy. Another perk: you'll never have to worry about your skirt riding up.
- Accessorize. If you know me, you know that I love to accessorize. This is a great trick for transforming a simple summer outfit into a work of art. Jewelry is like an extra dimension of fashion without the extra heat of, say, a cardigan or jacket. Grab your favorite pair of sandals, find a pair of killer shades, and top it off with a wide-brimmed hat.
There you have it, folks. You're ready to brave the heat. But if those tricks don't rescue you from the sweltering summer sun, there's always ice cream.